Friday, April 8, 2011

Hold your head high and thumb out.

It has been about 10 days that I have been off the grid. Internet is expensive and hard to come by here.

I had the joy of welcoming my old college friend (Amanda). Am I allowed to say "old college friend" yet? I did graduate about two years ago. Anyway, I showed her what I could, and she jumped head first into the way of traveling the world that many don't get to experience.

We hitch-hiked (see picture below), rented a van, walked, and rode a bus, all in a matter of six days! We made new friends, met up with a few of my old friends and had a pretty good time. You should ask her about it.




We spent the whole time in Queenstown, which is the South Lake Tahoe of New Zealand. I must say though, it does not compare to the grandeur of Tahoe. The mountains are much bigger in California and I've had better coffee at my favorite little spot known as Alpen. It also helps having a bike, which I do not have here.
I plan on someday going back and living there again. You are welcome to join me.

I was truly amazed to experience Autumn again. I haven't gotten to see the changing leaves and colors of Fall since 2008. It is one of my favorite seasons. When was the last time you jumped into a pile of leaves? It has been way too long for me. Sadly, they were not really falling yet. Here in Oxford, the trees are pine-like and green all year, so no leaf piles for me.

I hope this finds you all doing well and enjoying a Tulsa Drillers baseball game or two. Oh and if you are looking for a good read, I recommend Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott. I'll end this post with a quote from her book...

"It's funny: I always imagined when I was a kid that adults had some kind of inner toolbox full of shiny tools: the saw of discernment, the hammer of wisdom, the sandpaper of patience. But then when I grew up I found that life handed you these rusty bent old tools - friendships, prayer, conscience, honesty - and said 'do the best you can with these, they will have to do'. And mostly, against all odds, they do. "

1 comment:

brian & erin goodrich said...

i'll move to tahoe with you.